Today’s recipe is brought to you from the Engine 2 Diet
- 6 pears, peeled and cored, divided
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in warm water for about an hour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 pitted dates, soaked in warm water for about an hour
- 2 cups Engine 2 Plant-Strong™ Rip’s Big Bowl cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Thinly slice 5 of the pears and place in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and toss. Chop remaining pear and place in a blender. Drain raisins, reserving the soaking liquid. Add raisins to the blender along with lemon juice and vanilla. Blend until smooth, adding a few tablespoons of the reserved soaking liquid as needed to make a purée. Pour the mixture over pears and toss gently until coated. Scrape the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish or small casserole dish and smooth the top.
Drain dates and place them in a food processor. Add cereal, cinnamon and salt; pulse until the mixture is finely chopped and starts to form loose clumps. Spread the mixture evenly over pears. Bake until topping is browned and crisp and filling is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.